View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
wolfraven
EcoModding Lurker

That Big Gray Thing - '82 Mercury Capri
90 day: 19.33 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to wolfraven
I suppose I should be pouring over all of the coding tutorials I can and learning with every free moment at my disposal, but since my actual time to work on random projects is somewhat limited, I think I'll keep dropping my $0.02 in wherever I feel it may be of use. Early in the development in Paul's motor controller, he actually created his own tester, at least for the control section. I don't remember what page it was on, or how long ago...but the little blinking light tester from back then gave me an idea with the current problem... Basically, since you're only testing the control section, you would be using substantially lower amounts of voltage etc...so you COULD probably hook it up to another controller to test it for variables like that...or do what's already proven to work, like was done with the bike/light motor controller and just scale it back to the point that it drove say...a tiny motor (i have a ton of little dc motors from things...) and you could probably simulate the rest of it through either the inputs and doing things that would otherwise be drastic to accomplish with a whole EV, like making it NOT go...I'm sure everyone involved with this that currently has an EV would have to tie their ride off to a stump, but with a scaled back and essentially free tiny motor, with the parameters appropriately scaled back (tiny motor, remember?) it wouldn't be very difficult to get those things into appropriate troubles. Just my idea, though, and I'm sure there's another way of doing it...isn't there a virtual machine setup that could run this code as if it were the controller? But either a mini-motor controller or another waaay tiny light blinker driver to test that it works sounds like a good idea to me.