View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
hamsterpower
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
future pollution from EVs?

First off let me say for the record " I am for wide spread use of EVs" I plan to build one for myself soon.

Here's my What if question. What if there was a shift to millions of electric cars in one city? Sound good right? Well I've been around my share of electric motors and they seem to emit a specific odor. I've heard this is Ozone from the sparking and EM field.

Wikipedia says:
Ozone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
~
Air pollution
There is a great deal of evidence to show that high concentrations of ozone, created by high concentrations of pollution and daylight UV rays at the Earth's surface, can harm lung function and irritate the respiratory system
~
Incidental production
Ozone may be formed from O2 by electrical discharges and by action of high energy electromagnetic radiation. Certain electrical equipment generate significant levels of ozone. This is especially true of devices using high voltages, such as(....) electric motors using brushes can generate ozone from repeated sparking inside the unit. Large motors that use brushes, such as those used by elevators or hydraulic pumps, will generate more ozone than smaller motors.....

Ignoring the off site power production issues. Would this hypothetical "Utopian" city still fill with smog?