View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

What two countries in the world have the largest fastest growing economies.

Japan and China.

Which two countries that are not 3rd world coutnries have the fewest safety net social programs of non third world countries.

Japan and China.

It honestly is an intelligence check. If you look up economic growth compared to the percent dependence on the government by the individual you see an indirect relationship. Most countries with more government run programs than the US have smaller economic growth factors. Those countries that have fewer social nanny programs have higher economic growth.

If I am wrong I will donate every dollar I ever make to charity, but the average citizen in the most powerful(economically) state is better off than one in a lesser economic state.

The single most blindingly obvious method to radically increase the quality of life is to increase the countries economy. nothing else even comes close to achieving the same effect. Taxes and government programs limit economic growth and therefor the quality of living of the average person.

Up until 1909 the government survived on sales taxes and not taking unfathomable amounts of money for congressmen and senators(Junkits, working when they want, appropriating funds for transport for "delegation" that accomplishes nothing, aid to terrorist states that accomplishes nothing, contributions to useless systems like The UN, impossibl tax codes, enormous systems to make sure people follow the impossible tax codes, lawyers who defend clients who made simple mistakes about the impossible tax codes. . .on and on.)

Make congressional jobs no pay no frills no benefits for starters, flat tax at either the sales end or the income end that all individuals pay, and the elimination of the IRS would be my vote to reduce government spending enormously.

If it really is a public service position to be in a position of authority. . .it should look like all the public service jobs I've ever had and pay nothing and usually cost me supplies to do the job. . .

"The bureacracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureacracy."

Do you really want to live in a world where so many are perched so precariously on the efforts of so few? Do you really want to live in a world in which if 5% of the people get fed up everyone gets sent packing to 3rd world status?

The economy is like nature. If you have an overflow of mice your few cats multiply incredibly fast to take advantage of the huge mouse population. In turn if the mice continue to sruvive and the cats become a huge population then something comes along to eat the cats. If the mice all vanish, the cats vanish and whatever was eating them vanishes.

If there is someone willing to pay for it it will happen in a true free market(which we don't have by any means). Obviously this is apparent because Aptera came into fruition before massive gas prices. They saw an enormous boom in business during that time. . .but they were successful before. I'll say this again, from my soapbox, If GM and Chrysler had been allowed to die when they ran out of money, Aptera would have had the opportunity to slice off some chunk of 20-30% market volume of all vehicles sold in the US. How many cars do they sell right now? Not that many, the market is saturated and its a specialty product. If they even were able to acquire 1% of the total market volume that had become available you would see Aptera explode and start producing cars for the entire West coast and surrounding states. In the current economy they could easily have grabbed up 2-3% and sell 3-4% of all the cars sold in the US. Then a true EV Aptera for sale would be a possibility or it would be possible to buy them here on the east coast.

"Bureacracy is the process of converting human effort and ingenuity into solid waste."

P.S. The reason foreign cars have much better fuel economy. . .is the fuel. US gasoline is vastly different from Euro or Asian blends. Their blends pollute far more than ours, but you get 10-20% more FE and HP out of it depending on where the engien was designed to be used. This is why cars dyno tested in Europe will always post higher numbers than cars dynoed in the US(even if you straight up imported it, before even accounting for new EPA crap that will lower its FE and HP).

The reason Euro states survive with higher gas prices is because they have mass transit. To be honest we don't. If you took my car away, I'm screwed. There is no bus, no train, no subway, no mass transit of any form that runs from my house to my job or even town in general. If you've been to europe you know that every major city has an underground, most of europe has a rail system, most have extensive bus routes and most things are very close together to start with(europe is much smaller and cities are more dense making bicycling a very viable option for transit. Biking would take me more than an hour to get to work(20 minute drive)).

Nothing is ever simple. Nothing is ever looking at two basic objects. There are always unintended consequences, there is always friction, there is always corruption, there are always failures.

If your water hose leaks very badly but you need to water your plants what are you going to do crank more water(money) through the hose and have it go everywhere and be wasted while a tiny fraction makes it to the desired target or do away with the hose and get a bucket. The real analogy would be collecting the rain before its gets to the plants and then dispersing it through the hose and losing most of it instead of just letting the rain fall on the plants.