View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
^ This suggests we (i.e., our governments) need to do more to properly provide for our aging population, not that we shouldn't have a gas tax. We can't save everyone by our individual actions; that's why countries (excepting the US, of course) have dedicated social safety nets. If we weren't so in love with our individualism, we wouldn't leave the not-as-well-off in as bad shape as we do.
If you want to pay someone 4x what it costs me to do it for them be my guest, but if you tax me to pay him. . .I will be furious. I am willing to do it at cost. I guarantee some social worker and the other systems that they would be fed into if I stopped would cost 2-3x more than what it costs for me to do it. The difference between private sector and public sector. Why USPS is dying and FedEx and UPS are still doing fine, packages are delivered on time without being broken, opposed to a few days late not on the weekends and usually beat to pieces(I had textbooks shipped to me while I was in college and had to use usps. . .at least 4 out of 20 books over my college career were completely destroyed. I worked for Fedex and shipped things through them on a daily basis and never once had a problem).

I'll say this again, government taxes and legislation are always the dumbest of all available options. I'm fine with helping my elderly folks that live nearby, but if you mandate that I have to go to some community service center to check in and clock that I am doing that and get forms for them to sign when I show up. . . I will burn those forms and go to jail and you can find someone else to do it.