View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
The vast majority will buy where it is more convenient.

I'll give you China, but Japan is sinking faster than you guys, a 4% contraction last year.

Anyway, I live where the taxes are highest in North America, and I'm glad I am.
lol thanks Tas,

Japan is no longer the economic power house it was poised to become. I think that is because it took the route of social programs instead of letting its free market system run wild.

To more properly and accurately depict my example. . .China and India. ..

In systems where there is no state to look after you(financially) people don't spend as much and people complain this creates a problem with domestic business, but I would argue that in "solving" the problem by using safety nets they create a bigger problem of state dependents. Individuals who can vote, recieve financial assistance from the government, don't pay taxes and are able to further implement systems in which everyone else is taxed more heavily than they are the system is doomed.

I cannot exactly replicate the quote but it was something to the effect , "When the people realize they can elect favors from the treasury into their own pockets, democracy will never succeed." I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall the quote. The

oops here it is

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over lousy fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
~ Alexander Fraser Tyler - Cycle of Democracy (1770)