View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

You can definitely go above the rating on the max pressure. This is what they assign to achieve. . . a safe boundary between normal operation and something bizarre happening.

I know people on here are all about going 50% above max sidewall sometimes. . .but I wouldn't do it. If your car drops through some of the potholes I've accidently hit(in NC mostly) that are 3-4 inches deep(maybe more) and rock my car chassis you can very quickly achieve burst pressure. Hypothetically its a warm day you've been driving for a little while, so your pressure is substantially higher(from driving and from the heat) and you hit a big pothole, at that point you've only got to jump up about 80 PSI in local pressure somewhere in the tire to achieve burst. Its not common I admit, but running above max sidewall is not common either. Its putting alot more molecules in the tire and making it behave in funny ways.

I would go with the 44 psi tires and only inflate to 49-50 and no higher.

Blow a tire off on the highway and I promise you guys will never go over that max rating again. Its honestly like driving on a solid sheet of ice.

The Following User Says Thank You to theunchosen For This Useful Post:
Eddles (09-06-2009)