View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
My best suggestion would be to spend ten hours reading those three websites I listed. Then you'll get an idea of how much you have to spend to get results. There are many cost-saving techniques, like buying a dead forklift, taking the electronics out, then sending the lift to scrap.

You need to make decisions on AC or DC (expensive and efficient vs inexpensive and easy), pick your type of battery (cheap batteries get you started, but expensive batteries cost less in the long run). Generators are more expensive than you think. Expect to pay 2-5k for a deisel that will work for this.

You can save a couple thousand by building your own controller (see Paul and Sabrina's thread). And if you get your hands dirty, you can find motors cheap. Batteries are killer on most projects, i think, if you want decent range.

Really though, don't be afraid of the costs if you're just looking to get groceries and go to local shows and you're willing to "hack" and scrounge. I'd love to see your conversion take place... old muscle car meets new tech is just cool.