View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

The Us autos are doomed you are right. Its because they got locked in on making cars they wanted(no ecoboxes, no basic boxes, no reliable boxes) and because they made friends with the wrong people(unions). Those two factors doomed them.

Since then Ford has managed to slightly get away from that. The Ford Fiesta overseas is relatively cheap, relatively good product, but I know nothing of what they pay workers there so I won't say.

I'm not a fan of US major autos. I'm a Honda guy. Reliable, inexpensive and pay reasonable wages at domestic plants. US domestic HQs meet really none of those on the same level. They aren't as inexpensive they aren't as reliable but they pay far too much to their employees.

My point in bringing up the industrialism quote. . .you name a government run organization that meets even one of those qualities(productively, overpaying your underqualified lazy workers is a negative, just like I compared it on the auto industry).

There simply aren't any. There are plenty of private sector jobs that do all three. FedEx supplies inexpensive shipping, they don't break packages that often and they pay their employees reasonably. A local fast food restaurant Pal's won the most efficient business of the year in I believe 98, and its the only food service company to ever even be considered. They supply cheap food, it tastes good, and its a good bit more healthy than McD's, BK and Yum corp, while they pay their employees very well considering its an entry level job.

Not all private sector entities are shining examples of Free Industrialism. . .but no government run entities are shining examples of efficiency, satisfaction or usefulness. If I ever have to chose I always chose free industry because eventually if pollution gets to lethal levels then there will be a market for manufacturing ways to get rid of it. If people will honestly buy incredible light high FE econoboxes then someone will start selling them. Welcome to Free Industry, if there is money to be had someone will be selling to get at it.