View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
^^^What he said. Let's not even get into Al Gore's preferred means of transportation.

As for the tax being regressive: who are you -- who am I for that matter -- to tell people how to spend their money. The guy next door to me just bought one of those 'cigarette' boats, talk about a gas hog.

But let's not kid ourselves about who drives what and who burns the most gas in the process. Rich or poor, we all have to get to work, the store, school, and other essential destinations.

Once upon a time I lived pretty close to the bone. I lucked into a half decent job with Exxon, and they gave me a credit card which allowed me to receive a discount on gas purchased from Exxon stations. (The catch was that I had to pay it off in full each month.) There was a low priced Exxon station on my commute, so I used the card for pretty much all of my gas purchases. I was shocked when the first month's bill came in, and it was more than I was paying for rent. This is with me driving a VW Beetle (60's style) and having a 30 minute commute to/from work.

Gas taxes hit poor people far, far, more than they hit rich people. They just do.