View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #54 (permalink)
metroschultz
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
The Us autos are doomed you are right. Its because they got locked in on making cars they wanted(no ecoboxes, no basic boxes, no reliable boxes) and because they made friends with the wrong people(unions). Those two factors doomed them.
They never made friends with the unions, that is why the always argued with the unions.
The biggest argument being absurdly high pay for a very few select individuals.
If the big three cut the pay of the CEO down to 5 or 10 million a year they could have put the other 200 million into the plant and still be in business.

Robert Bosch (wealthy industrialist from Europe, now passed away) was asked once in an interview with a German magazine;
"Mr Bosch, you are one of the wealthiest men in the world, is this why you pay your workers so well?" (Bosch plants were the place to be in the 60's and 70's due to their high wages and benefits)
His response;
"No, I became a wealthy man because I took good care of my workers."

For the first 6 years of the operation of his car parts plant in Bohn, Mr Bosch only received a salary equal to the lowest paid worker on the floor.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein