View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #134 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
4AGE silver top is a good engine, I'm assuming your talking about the 20V japanese version?
Only downside is the iron block, but with the supercharger it's probably the right choice.
I think the unibody is the only way to go due to the better utilization of interior space. Plus, many tube frame cars are way overbuilt. People underestimate the strength of materials and don't realize it's the shape that makes a car strong not 1/4" thick wall tubing.
Yeah I've got one lined up complete driveline and electronics for a grand plus shipping, but I'm also shipping it with several other engines(shop) so I get a hefty break on that.

I haven't really extensively worked with composites yet so I'm thinking two routes. The first is buy some fiberglass and work with it to get it down pat(CF is 60 bucks for 4 square yards and I would prefer to screw up on cheap(20 for 4 square yards) materials than expensive ones) and then build it out of CF.

The other route, which is slowly picking up favor with me, would be build the load bearing portions out of CF and as much as I can everything else out of FG. Engine mounts and rear bits would have to be CF to maintain the engine's weight along with some of the passenger weight and fuel tank, but I think I can do seats out of FG(its much lighter and cheaper), body panels and any storage compartments. With this approach I'm thinking something like a twin chassis. One chassis runs front to back with most of its strength rear biased (the CF chassis) and one that sleeves over(and bolts into) the rear chassis and provides most of the strength for the front suspension and the passengers.

I'm concerned about weight distribution going with composites though. It's going to have a 400ish lb block of metal 50% of passenger weight and probably the fuel tank sitting on the rears and no weight to speak of sitting up front. I'm considering putting the tank up front but I'm not sure. . .suggestions?

For aero its going to be a wedge entirely focused on downforce. It will be more aero than no body paneling(by a long shot) but I'm concerned about being low weight and not having grip on the front tires at highway speeds. I'm expecting the engine and trans weighs at most 600(I might be wrong on that rk I haven't weighed one) 50lb gas tank, 50 lb battery, 100-200 lb chassis, 40 lb body, so right in around 1/2 ton at 70 mph with probably 80-20 rear-front weight distribution.