View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #56 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Just because something becomes more expensive doesn't mean people will always use less of it. If I have to drive to work. . .I have to drive to work. If its going to cost me more, well then its just going to cost me more.
Crap. You just have to look at what happened last year, whe gas hit $4. People started driving less, and stopped buying new gas-guzzlers.

There are plenty of ways, from carpooling to telecommuting to public transit, for the average person to use less gas immediately.

Besides the work driving, there's a whole lot of discretionary/recreational gasoline use that could be curtailed without hurting anyone. The RV that gets 5 mpg? Go camping in a tent instead. The oversized powerboat that you roar around the lake in (ruining the day for everyone else), and need that F450 pickup to haul? You can have just as much fun with kayaks, sailboards, and canoes, and haul them behind your ordinary car. Same with those ATVs & dirt bikes. Hike or ride a mountain bike instead. Just as much fun for you, lots nicer for the rest of us who don't have to listen to your loud pipes, and way easier on gas.