View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
cfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Rogers View Post
Bob, you are a prophet!

Isn't this the thread I started about a super-efficient car? It was postulated to be attached to a rail. (Or rails.) Cross-wind lift is probably okay and should augment propulsion. (The lift vector has a forward component.)

This minimum drag issue is of such fundamental importance that I think somebody has to help us get it settled. It seems to me that a CFD program is the best way to find the answer. And, based on what we have seen here so far, a good study (though brief) should be suitable for publication in a journal. Any takers? Should be good for a master's thesis, don't you think?

Ernie Rogers
Ernie,a number of months ago,a member posted that MIT had solved the Navier Stokes equations for
the 3-dimensional coordinate matrix.If true,CFD would be able to predict actual 3-dimensional flow for any real form.I don't know if anything like this would exist outside the academic arena,however,it sounds like the kind of tool you might use to model your architecture.------ Wind spectra within an urban environment might play havoc with the dynamic range of results but short of building a scale model and subjecting to empirical testing,I can't imagine an alternative to the 3-d CFD.Perhaps you could apply for a grant to fund a graduate study.Let us know how things shake out and good luck!