View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
round.boater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Looks pretty sweet! Can you also take some pictures of how it attaches to the bed?
I swapped out the clamps that Bondo included and replaced them with a set of brackets from SnugTop (pic below). I pop-riveted them through the fiberglass (hope that section was strong enough...). The motivation was to get a slim enough clamp to allow the carpet kit that I already owned to fit inside.

I'm also working on replacing the key-turn locking mechanism with a latching one. A single key in the center pulls a cable that releases the latches. I think the latches are also by SnugTop, or maybe that was the lock. The dealer I was talking to sold me some random parts that will work with the space available. Bondo - I'm pretty sure I can get the latches to use the U bolt that holds the support struts. I'll get pics when I'm done, but you may want to consider this for future lids and adjust the fiberglass accordingly.

I've slept in it for three nights now - one of which was raining all night. No leaks, so nice work! I was on the Yampa (Yampa River Rafting Dinosaur National Monument - Holiday Expeditions) and we hit the biggest rapid at the peak flow - yee-haw! Then 24 mpg on the way home. I'm pulling a trailer on the next drive though, so things probably won't look quite as good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2137.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	3622