View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #77 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Ok
I am officially exiting this debate.

I would have to get into stuff about genes and the theory of natural selection; repeat things I have already said which were ignored the first time; and even if I did, I think this is one of those situations where minds have been made up in advance and evidence and reason become irrelevant.

I think you take free-market economics as an axiom, as do a great many people today. I can no more hope to persuade you than someone of religious conviction.

And it has nothing at all to do with gas taxes.

If you want to read the blogs I posted earlier, and comment on them there, you are more than welcome to. I am sure you will find much to disagree with

*While I was sleeping my brain came up with an analogy that I wanted to share.
Quote:
the single greatest force in human innovation and production comes to play. Greed.
Here is another incredibly powerful force: the nuclear attraction between protons and neutrons. That force can be harnessed to power aircraft carriers and entire cities. But if it is not very carefully managed and regulated, that same force gets out of control and produces Chernobyl and 3 Mile Island. In some cases its destruction is deliberate, and you have Nagasaki and Hiroshima. In the greed model, you and I are the citizens of Hiroshima, and the top 1% of society is the bomber plane. The Great Depression, CA electricity market after deregulation (prices soared, service became terrible), Enron, the recent bank bail out - these are all examples of what happens when you give up government control in favor of totally free markets. Everybody ends up losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?

Last edited by JacobAziza; 05-31-2009 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: dream