View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #139 (permalink)
rkcarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

I agree and I have drawn my designs with the fuel tank up front. My design has a large "channel" running between the passengers to the front of the car. Just forward of the front firewall a saddle tank is the way I'm looking to go, or maybe just a 8 gallon fuel cell if it fits in there. Like already stated I did this to keep some weight forward and for safety. Remember that your car will go further and a massive SUV tank isn't going to be required to have 400+ miles of range. The bladder tank is a good idea.
Your about right on with your 4AGE weight, I wanna say around 650#'s on a pallet with the axles wiring and computer(everything needed to make it run).
I generally disagree with the frame and body form of construction. The frame has to be strong enough to withstand the forces applied, while the body also must endure wind forces rocks insects birds etc.
2 years I was on the solar car team(RC 1/10th scale in high school), and our best(strongest and lightest) design by far was a unibody built off of the carbon fiber laminated fiberglass honeycomb we used under the solar panel.