View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
stevey_frac
EcoModding Apprentice

Jalilah - '07 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
90 day: 40.57 mpg (US)
Hi Guys,

I thought i would throw in my .02 here. I'm a computer and systems engineer, so i have a little bit of insight here. I'm gonna say, you could run into problems. Most modern alternators are setup for active (computer) control. They are designed to top up your battery, and then run at the lowest level sufficient to maintain high voltage. If my battery is charged, the alternator will keep the voltage at around 12.7 volts. If the battery is discharged a bit, it'll charge at 13.5v. If the battery is very discharged, it'll charge at as high as 15V. The problem that i can see you running into, is that the first alternator to kick in will bring the voltage up above normal battery voltage. This will prevent the others from running. This alternator will run at the highest operating current it can, until the voltage sags down to regular battery voltage. Then the next alternator will kick in, and so on, until you are maxing out all your alternators. You won't be sharing the load between all of them. You could also cause controller instability, whereby the alternators kick in and out at high frequency, as all five try to keep the voltage at spec. It wouldn't be the kind of thing I'd want to do haphazardly. You should also be aware that most alternators are rated at a current at some RPM. So that 5.5 kw your after, will probably only be attainable at 4-5k RPM (if your going with the ratings). The biggest alternators i've seen are 200 amp at 12v. which is around 2400 watt.