View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I have 5 alloys for a trooper, 1987. I believe the 60mpg fuel, they needed turbo and tune. All OEM even today do not let full fire happen for fear of the engine...there is 5 year plans they need to keep. A diesel is a big thumper and owners have to make it. I grew up with much much larger diesels...and a 290 cummins chugging along at is best could suck down what a 550 cat does today...same mileages..hauling up to 20 ton more. Diesel has a secret, it is oems weakness. I too get "unbelievable" mileage with a 1781cc boxer and a jacked up sube with 10 gears (60mpg ironically). OEM does not like thier engines running..seems a certain oxymoron. Go for those forged parts, and tell em all..it is even more stunting when it is oem that hangs on for decades after the goofballs put it together. Like the project, glad someone contended with it..that whole generation has a good chance at something. gas or diesel. the most interesting cars I never got to (my locale is absolute car holocaust) is a diesel from the 80s. Another similar story of a nissan iesel pickup slapping a turbo on...same thing, doubles mileage and power is something to be giddy over. OEM has done alot of weird things...the 80s wasn't even half of the madness of what they do today...and the stampede spends its time laughing at the 80s. I don't even want to know wht they think ecomodding is...Good luck with the trooper. I can guess a melt down someplace, bottom or top end.