Thread: Find!
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
The A is about 35 ft^2, and about .345 Cd for Cara... I was almost half thinking about getting a Metro or something similar, but then I sort of also think that I'd rather just put it in something that I'll get the most use out of, even if it's not the best for aero or mileage gains...

What I'm sure I'd like to do is use either the van or a small pickup, something that has some utilitarian advantage to it. I can carry plywood and passengers in Cara, and she's not all too unhappy about it.

My first idea is definitely to put the motor into Cara... I think she could use a little more brute muscle in place of the anemic 2.4 liter she has now, and I still would love to get a bike or something to supplement my driving, since I'm alone most of the time... no point in moving 3500 lbs of Cara when I could move only ~600 lbs of bike and get 2x or better the fuel mileage.

On top of that, my original modding plan for Cara involved more than just a diesel engine... I was actually thinking a dual-drive diesel electric hybrid, like I mentioned above...

Either way, I'll definitely document every piece of the process, since I'll probably end up writing it up completely.