View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
johnpr
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
Smile my jeep's new aero mod

ok so i had a long trip last weekend and said to myself, "john, you drive a brick, lets see if we can't make it any more aerodynamic" i had already left the house and didnt have any tools with me so being the problem solver i am i found the nearest snow bank and proceeded to ram into it (ok not really ram but more of a drive into at 15mph) i came away from the snow bank with a giant block of snow sitting on my front bumper and spent a few minutes sculpting it. long story short i ended up wit a wedge shape ontop of my bumper, the next morning (after having already arrived at my destination) i was surprised at how much snow was left on my front bumper and thought some of you guys might get a kick out of it. honestly it helped my fuel mileage tremendously ( a trip which normally takes around a quarter of a tank only took a little over 1/8th so not bad. as you can see from the pictures the snow did wear down quite a bit so it wasn't consistent for the fuel savings.

now kind of along those same thoughts i have been considering making a new front bumper and grill guard that would be aerodynamically shaped and have a removable Plexiglas shield. any thoughts?

john

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	371   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 2.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	372