View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
gsimpson
EcoModding Lurker

FocunStein - '02 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 37.14 mpg (US)

theSeven - '88 Mazda RX-7 GXL
90 day: 21.89 mpg (US)

Steve - '93 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 41.35 mpg (US)
ratty cardboard grill block

Here's the grill block as it stands. I'm starting with cardboard because it is easy to modify (and remove) until I get sorted out the correct amount of airflow the rad wants.

I am thinking I'll move the license plate, maybe just up an inch since it's covering a portion of the hole I've left in the grill block. I do want to make the move to something less visible (and ugly) soon, as I'm getting tired of the silly questions and comments from people at work.

The sloped part above the license plate is intended to direct air over the hood, rather than bumping into the vertical upper grill. My intention is to add a piece of plastic or fibreglass shaped to follow the curve of the hood down to the top of the bumper, and I would like it to be as wide as the inside edges of the headlights, but the signal lights are buried in the grill so I guess I'll have to move them.

That could wind up being a bunch of work, so if I'd like to know the opinion of folks on the forum, will making the nose more rounded make a significant aerodynamic difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cardboard_airdam.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	3647