View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
gsimpson
EcoModding Lurker

FocunStein - '02 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 37.14 mpg (US)

theSeven - '88 Mazda RX-7 GXL
90 day: 21.89 mpg (US)

Steve - '93 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 41.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The front of modern cars all have fully attached flow. There's lower hanging fruit to be picked elsewhere before you start worrying about how far back from the tip of the nose you can maintain a laminar boundary layer by reshaping everything to be fully smooth & rounded.
Thanks for that. I wasn't looking forward to the work necessary to modify the whole front. I'll stick with grill block for now, and move on to wheel disks, air dam, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Question: does the driver's wiper always sit so high up the glass? Is there a void behind the trailing edge of the hood that it can sit in? (I'm not familiar with that detail on the Focus).
It's a little high in that picture (I think there's a fried relay that doesn't bring it back to 'park' when you turn it off) but in general it does seem to be out in the airflow a bit. I did adjust where the arm sits on the spline so that it should park as low as possible on the glass. I was considering adding a lip or something to the back of the hood to move the airflow up over the wiper. Do you think that would help? Or should I just take the whole darn thing off, and keep a 14mm ratchet in the car to put it back on in inclement weather?