View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
gsimpson
EcoModding Lurker

FocunStein - '02 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 37.14 mpg (US)

theSeven - '88 Mazda RX-7 GXL
90 day: 21.89 mpg (US)

Steve - '93 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 41.35 mpg (US)
ScanGuageII is the answer to my prayers

As I had mentioned before, I am amazed by the difference that I can make in FE by paying close attention to my new SGII. This is not news for many of you here, but for those who haven't taken the plunge to fit their vehicle out with some sort of feedback guage, I can't recommend it enough.

By a slight modification to my daily commute in to work this morning, plus really paying close attention to the LHP redout, I was able to pull 5.1 l/100km (~46 mpg). I am starting to understand the comments I've read around here about how hypermiling can become an obsession or addiction. I'm already treating it like a game, where I'm always trying to better my previous "Top Score"

Then I made the above-mentioned modifications to the air dams over my lunch hour, and was itching to see if they made a difference on my ride home. I didn't travel the same route (not even the same destination) so there's no direct comparison, but whether it was the cleaner front, some other environmental variables, better technique, or something magic, I just about hit my target of 4.7l/100km or 50mpg. In fact, the AVG was reading 4.7 for a little while, but I made a route change decision to avoid starting from near stopped at the bottom of a steep hill, but the new route took me down 6km of gravel road. I now know that driving on loose gravel is akin to driving with a parachute attached to your trunk as far as FE is concerned.

So I'm itching to finish off this tank so I can get some official numbers posted to my fuel log. Maybe I'm just odd, but does anyone else get the urge to just keep driving so that you can get to the end of a tank and do the calculations? Clearly not very good use of dead dinosaurs, and somewhat against the concept of making the best use of the fuel you consume, but I was tempted non-the-less. Yup, I'm officially a ecomodding dork.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsimpson For This Useful Post:
chumly (01-21-2014), taco (08-01-2012)