View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #1580 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Death Wish 9 Responses!

These are really really good questions! Let's keep this up! YOu should be a beta tester! I'm about to go out, but I'll try to answer the easier ones before I go. (I'll add to it later today)

2. Control section reverse polarity:
SAFE & NOT DESTRUCTIVE -
There is reverse polarity protection. The controller wouldn't turn on, and nothing would break.

If 12v supply connected to throttle input:
SAFE & NOT DESTRUCTIVE - There would be at most 0.01 amps flowing. No power to controller. You would just sit there.

If 144v supply connected to throttle input:
SAFE & MILDLY DESTRUCTIVE - There would be at most 11.25 watts being dissipated through a quarter watt resistor. The resistor would fail, and it would eventually open like a fuse. Replace resistor and possibly burned up PCB tracks on control board.

7 & 8:
Flooring it while parking brake or brake on for 30 seconds:
SAFE & NOT DESTRUCTIVE - (See Ben's video of version 1)
Here's where the hardware overcurrent protection comes in handy!
The current would quickly shoot up to 500 amps, and would hold around 500 amps (or a little less) for 30 seconds. Your batteries may be sort of angry at the end of the 30 seconds. If the controller gets too warm, it would automatically lower the current limit based on the temperature.

9. Flooring it in Neutral:
DESTRUCTION OF MOTOR (But at least the controller will be fine. hehehe) -
The motor would over-rev and be ruined. In the next version, I'm going to add an RPM sensor to control max RPM.

So, in the next version, this would result in the motor revving to maybe 6000rpm, and holding around 6000 rpm. The guy would feel really cool!

MORE LATER!

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 06-06-2009 at 01:39 PM..