View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
hmm, 28%? That's really good. For my van that would put me in the range of maybe seeing a 30 mpg tank once in a while. You wouldn't have a picture of your tail, do you? Were you still able to use the tailgate? I can see how having the bottom of a boattail properly built could add some much needed luggage space in a somewhat cramped van. With it being only 18 inches, I'm assuming it was open at the end.

I'm toying with how to do rear wheel skirts. My rear tires are not underneath the van very much; about 1/3 of the tire surface above the floor is exposed. So i may have to think about flaring it a bit before a skirt would do any good.
ShadeTreeMech,I went ahead and posted a new thread entitled Phil Knox's aero-modded VW Van.Al Glidewell here at Copy-Pro was kind enough to scan the images and do the PhotoShop work to get them on the internet here at EcoModder.As you will see from the images,the thing was just cobbled together but the air liked it enough to reward me at the pump.Hope the images help.