View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #265 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You bet correctly, sir!

It's interesting that you would notice that. Congratulations, I think!
It's a psychological exercise that I used to practice in school... supposed to help increase literacy and calculation/process speed. I still do it to this day.

As far as someone rebuilding the engine, then giving it to basjoos... I have only one question: Ever shipped a motor? Not cheap. Better be someone local!

On that note, as far as not having facilities, that's relative... if you have a bathroom, you have "facilities"... (Ironically, the "dirty room" of the house is the most likely to be exceptionally clean and free of dust/lint/etc.)

When rebuilding, use biodegradable and synthetic lubricants (olive oil or something similar) so you don't upset your city water supply, or introduce anything into the environment that shouldn't be there, depending on your case. The bathtub makes a great place to work, as long as you've cleaned and properly disposed of the grease and oil that will obviously come with it.

I've rebuilt several engines using olive oil, vegetable oil, etc... prime the oil pump and oiling system for several seconds before starting up the engine, and you'll be fine. On a Honda engine, this is kind of difficult, since the oil pump is actually attached to the crankshaft (it's also the front main seal housing). Instead, on a Honda engine, you just crank the engine for a few seconds with out plugs in it... this will build pressure without letting the engine speed up, as you're cranking... crank for 5-6 seconds about 5 times before starting it up for the first time.

Afterward, follow standard break in procedure.

The first time one of the girls from the Diner I used to frequent came to my house to cook me supper, she wanted to take a shower... I had to move a 318 Dodge engine from the tub for her... LOL. She called me a redneck, of course.