View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I thought the whole premise of the Aptera was to be a diesel-powered high-mpg vehicle.My apology for not keeping current.In the Air Force I used the term "assumed" in front of a 1st-Sargent and I thought I'd never hear the end of that.Looks like I can no longer "presume" that anything will turn out as mentioned in the press.My hope was that Aptera would push the public mind into a new paradigm,embracing rational commuter vehicle design.Has Aptera lost the pair-of-dimes necessary to underwrite that?
I never assumed it would be a diesel. I thought "hybrid first", but capable of any drivetrain that could fit into the engine bay. It's original RWD configuration screamed for a (Tri-Magnum style) motorcycle option.

I agree with the paradigm shift, but I think it's mostly a shift in terms of no-compromise aerodynamics that can (eventually) translate into "pretty" in the mind of the consumer. To me it's basically a wingless Beechcraft. Even the front wheels look like fixed "aero-covered" landing gears.

Also, if you satisfy California emissions, you satisfy *all* markets. The company's based in California, after all.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society