View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #149 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Great news! After running into a dead end at my local Toyota dealership (because my salesperson no longer works there) to promote my Super Commuter Driving Instruction I went to Plan B and contacted my local newspapers' "Green Living" writer to tell her about my Super Commuter Driving business and what it and hypermiling can offer to her readers. She's calling me later today to arrange a driving lesson for herself (unpaid) and she'll include a photo of our lesson in the piece as well as some info. on her experience with the lesson (and hopefully how to get in touch with me if people want to do lessons).

Below is the email she sent me...if you guys want to send me some good talking points or have any ideas I'll make sure to mention them when I'm with her. The focus of her article is to replace her current car that has a lease ending soon.

Hi Matt,

I am currently working on a column about my upcoming car choice as my 36 mpg economy car is nearing its lease end.

Is it greener, comparing resources used to build a car with gas consumption, to keep my current car or should I try for a hybrid? What are the environmental effects of a hybrid’s battery, which contains hazardous waste? What is a hybrid battery’s useful life and how much does it cost to replace and dispose of?

I think a great addition to my research would be a brief lesson on hypermiling with you. I could have a photographer from the News come out and snap a picture of the lesson. For you it would promote your business, however, your time would be unpaid. I can’t afford it, and neither can the newspaper. As I am sure you are aware, numerous newspapers around the country have closed, and several Salem News columnists--along with my token--have been cut.

I’ll give you a call later on today to discuss.

Thanks so much for contacting me and reading Green Quick Fixes. I look forward to hearing all about hypermiling.

Andrea