View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Istas
is not covered in bees.

Honda - '05 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 27.16 mpg (US)

Insight - '00 Honda Insight w A/C
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Istas
Metro MPG: Thank you!

Yeah, I've read both those articles, but both of those were also done on cars that already had a smoother transition to the rear window, and the window at a more gentle angle. I think both the 2006 Camry and the 2003 Prius are significantly better in this attribute than Car, a 1992 Legacy:

I'm thinking that maybe, maybe, it might be more effective on cars with steeper back windows. However, I won't even think of trying the airtabs until I have an MPGuino installed and calibrated. And maybe when I do, since they didn't work, I can borrow those loners that were floating around? *hint hint*

Thank you for discouraging me from just buying them because I could.

Clev: Hahaha! Yeah, because the first thing people think of when they think fuel efficiency is an upside-down hammerhead shark. *grin*

Neil: Very slick job on your grille block. That's really smooth. And yeah, I can see how it definitely benefits your car, with the swept headlights. It's definitely an interesting idea, and I will keep it in mind, but two things: one, it takes away being able to use the front license plate holes as mounting points and it'd be a lot more complex to secure it by just using the grille alone (somehow), and two, it takes more finesse to shape it the way you have it. I'm going to go with the... hmm, I'm paraphrasing here, but I know I read it somewhere on this forum, "first, do it. Then do it better". I'll make it the simple way, then possibly refine later. I'll definitely keep your shape in mind when I do.

And yeah, I'll be using foam tape or something similar under the front and side edges of the hood, and clear caulk around the edges of the headlights (and possibly the grille blocks).

Thanks to all of you.

Last edited by Istas; 06-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: duplicate "both"