View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
sepp
EcoModding Lurker

the jeep - '02 nissan kingcab
Last 3: 29.07 mpg (US)
but when you press in the accelerator at a low rpm and high gear, the engine takes more time to react. doesn't that mean that it hasn't got the ability to burn all the fuel you are giving it? if you were in a lower gear, with the pedal at the same position the engine would be turning faster and be producing more HP with the same amount of fuel.
so my guess would be to accelerate in low gears and shift in the engine optimal ranges between 2500 and 3000 rpm (at least from 3 rd gear on, it can shift up to 3rd at under 1500 rpm no problem) and as soon as the cruise speed is reached, jump back to the highest gear the engine can take, but avoid accelerating?

i have been doing this on my current tank now, and im 3/4th down and i can't say that im noticing a positive or negative effect on my consumption. (though my dad has driven it alot on this tank and he does not hypermile at all, wich could imply that i have a possibly better FE than usual, since it should be lower in theory after my dad drove it so much.