View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I'm stumped.

I haven't touched the car in about a month. I've been making excuses to myself about work and the new house taking up too much time, but the fact is, I'm stuck. I suppose I've been waiting for an epiphany, but one has not come. Here's what I've been looking at:

That's where I want the radiator. So far, I've cut the old radiator support bracket off of the wrecked front bulkhead that came with the car, heated it up and straightened it out, mostly. I attached aluminium stock to the bumper rebar with two rivets, and I was hoping to also attach it to the radiator support bracket.

I bought some 1/8" aluminium L stock, which is about as thick as the member it would be replacing. I chose L stock over flat because it's much, much stiffer in torsion and bending. That's also the reason it's harder to work with.

I've never done fabrication before, which is a good reason to try it myself. I still need to build a radiator support (including an upper support to constrain the radiatior), hood latch support, and probably a few odds and ends to tie down the fender liners, headlights, and a temporary front bumper cover. Then it would be ready for inspection, and for service as a daily driver.

The problem is, I can't connect to the radiator support bracket, because it's not shaped the same as the L. Even if I could, I'm skeptical that two pop rivets top and bottom would hold it. I don't have a welder, but I'm not sure I could get one down there anyway.

Once I get the radiator hung, I still need to figure out how to suspend a hood latch in the middle of empty space a few inches behind the radiator.

So, how do I get there from here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insight Radiator Support Mockup.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	3681  

Last edited by RobertSmalls; 06-10-2009 at 08:42 PM..