View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

radiators aren't all that heavy. And usually are supported(on avg sized cars and mid sized SUVS) by 4-6 screws/bolts. Mine is supported with 4 screws in these I believe they vary from 3/8 at the edges to 1/4 in the middle.

You've got 2 bolts(or screws I can't make them out) that look to be holding down the front end of the fender, I don't know what a Prius is supposed to look like(No one ever brings them to us and we wouldn't know what to do anyway ^_^) but I've got stock a piece of flat steel that comes across in front-above the radiator that the front bumper mounts to. It also has two screws that attach it to the fenders for added stability. I'm not sure how good those mounts are but its worth a start to maybe get a little bit longer bolts(or screws) and put a mounting strut across the front. If the mounts for the fenders are really good you can use it to attach the front bumper and hold the top of the radiator as well as put a little L support on the back to reach your hood latch.

If you go with fiberglass bumper you don't need very much strength to hold the weight so as long as it can defeat the wind forces its gold.