View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

[edit] I removed my AC. Windows only for me. [/edit]

slightly off-topic, sorry if its thread jacking. . .not quite sure

I'm pretty sure duracool is illegal.

In which case I'm pretty certain its illegal to run it on a road car unless it was manufactured before date X.

The EPA outlawed R-12 for use in refrigerant systems in cars(tractors evaded this somehow, go figure) and then a year later outlawed several plug and play replacements(CHC-12B is duracool and its illegal to run it on any street going car produced after 1995.)

That said. . .R-12 and its siblings are much much more effective than 134a(it is not adviseable to swap 12 for 134a, the systems might not mate up right ^_^). I've done who knows how many AC recharges and repairs since summer started like 3 months back and the AC for 134a runs up to 70+PSI cycles on and off every 10-15 seconds(wears the clutch out on the AC and strains your accessory belt) while older cars with r-12 run around 50 psi, it cycles on about once a minute for 10-15 seconds(same with tractors). The air the r-12 systems put out is much colder than 134a. 134a feels cool while 12 can get cold enough to make your fingers turn blue and hurt.

Newer systems on tractors pretty much don't leak R-12 at all until a rock or something ruptures a line or a line comes disconnected. Not true of 134a systems. I've seen a couple of 3 year old chevies, fords, chryslers, nissans, hondas, and Toyotas. Not one of the two dozen farmers that we service their tractors has had a problem and their units are older than 98. . .

And we hear rumors that 134a will be banned and we have to move to ammonia. Which would mean your compressor would have to run a good bit over 100 PSI to achieve the same cooling. The extra amount of fuel needed to power the inferior refrigerants is far more damaging to the planet than the 1 out of ten that needs a recharge because its line ruptured, kind of classic myopia. . .

Last edited by theunchosen; 06-11-2009 at 10:43 AM..