View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
From EPA: "Gas-Saving" Products: Fact or Fuelishness?
Quote:
Gas prices are up, and so is the volume of advertising for "gas-saving" products. When gasoline prices rise, consumers often look for ways to improve fuel efficiency. Although there are practical steps you can take to increase gas mileage, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) warns you to be wary of any gas-saving claims for automotive devices or oil and gas additives. Even for the few gas-saving products that have been found to work, the savings have been small.

Fuel Line Devices (magnets). These magnetic devices, clamped to the outside of the fuel line or installed in the fuel line, claim to change the molecular structure of gasoline.

The EPA has evaluated: PETRO-MIZER; POLARION-X; Super-Mag Fuel Extender; Wickliff Polarizer [fuel line magnet/intake air magnet].
I personally tried one, and found no difference. It was a few years ago, and I didn't scientifically test it.

I'm not attacking you, but I am skeptical of the magnets. I believe that you did find a difference, but I think something else caused it.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles