View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi Christopher,

Where are the entry points? How will it be situated on the site -- do you have a site plan? How flat is the area where the footprint of the house will be -- total elevation change? What is the floor and the roof structure? Do you need to worry about earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, freezing winters, etc? Will you be using renewable energy for heat, domestic hot water, electricity? Do you want to incorporate gray water and/or rain water systems?

Those are darn big rooms! The structural span of the roof will be very tough, and you have to have enough pitch to make it work with the roofing material. I'm not sure that you will want the rooms to be that big -- they will just require a lot of walking? Your two bedrooms sound big enough together for a Great Room. I once was asked by clients to make a kitchen the was like 18' x 22' and it was simply too big to be efficient. Just because too small is no good, and a bit larger is fine; doesn't mean that gigantic is better! You want a "Goldilocks" design, I think...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 06-13-2009 at 12:20 PM..