View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
EL42Coupe
EcoModding Lurker

I'm jealous. I love the idea. I have some similar ideas. I might post them later.

Gotta ask though, how many people will be living here? I'm guessing 2. But going off your designs, I figured 3 people could live comfortably (me,wife,child) in 50x50 instead of 50x80.

I imagine shaving 30 feet off the house in any given direction would help solve some of the roofing issue. (please consider using pillars in your "great room". they add support and can be easily decorated to match) and definitely free up some funds for other things like building a power supply.

Something else to consider, i came across a site a couple years ago where some people built their own house and they used a woodburning stove with a custom "water-pipe-built-through-the-middle-of-it" design to heat their bath water.

It would work perfectly if you put the kitchen where the part of your master bath and walk in area are currently located giving you the shortest possible plumbing route.

so i guess just make pantry and guest bath trade places, put the wash in the spare room, flip master bath, relocate walk in area, place kitchen there.

and while burning wood may not seem the most eco friendly route, i will say this, I lived in a very remote cabin for a couple years, and i burned scraps. Fallen limbs, busted pallets, busted up wood from demolition sites (get permission) particle board et c. so I don't personally think it was THAT bad...

and what if you hooked up a turbine to the chimney? another power source to feed your batteries. (albeit a small one you could still build it for free/almost free and it would be worth 2.5 bragging points.)