View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
eeraser
EcoModding Lurker

Need help with XB-600 scooter - Blew up the batteries!

What a depressing week-end! three months ago I got a 5th battery for my 1 month old XB-600 (upped the 48v to 60V) and everything was fine until Saturday. After a 3 mile ride on a new charge, the batteries were pretty much drained! Took them down to the local battery store and found the one I had added was bad. Left it with them for further testing and went home to install the 4 original batteries, plugged the original 48V charger and went to bed.

Went out 12 hours later to a hissing noise, a really hot garage and the smell, OH BOY!

Fortunately, I did not screw down the battery cover, popped it open and the tops of the batteries had expanded, spewing the batteries sweet nectar over my carpet and down onto the garage floor and a pretty intense heat, even after 4 hours of cooling. Not sure why they exploded like that. My first guess is that I installed one of the batteries backwards and I'll confirm that later, but I am 100% sure I had them correct and I double checked them before I plugged the charger in.

Now for the good news, I get to rebuild it...STRONGER, FASTER, SMARTER! How would you rebuild a scooter that just exploded? I think my first purchase is going to be 5 Lithium batteries. What else, or what advice can you offer? :-)