View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #1722 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjdennis View Post
Guys, I'm not trying to be persnickety or contrary here. I asked a question that was on-topic, about the controller and its possible use as a charger. My follow-up questions were going to be able how to size the inductor so that when I built the controller I could test it as a charger, too. But I got responses about choosing the right battery pack and energy losses and pack swapping. I've already got my battery pack. My EV goes over 100 miles on a charge. I drive it 88 miles round-trip to work. It just has trouble with sagging on steep hills, and Lee Hart recommended the solution I mentioned, getting a small second pack that could handle the high-demand draws for hills, and have my existing pack supply a constant 70A. Paul's controller seems like a good solution since I'm planning on building one anyway.

Bill
wjdennis, your EV goes 100 miles on a charge??!! If Lee Hart suggested it, then it will almost certainly work. I'm sorry for making light of it with the comment about the hydrogen. I was just being goofy. I'm not sure about correct inductor sizing. hmm... That's a great question. The inductance in an EV motor is around 50-100 uH or something of that order of magnitude.
I need to go back and read what Lee described.

EDIT: OK, I read it! Yes, I think it would work. Maybe use a larger inductance than a motor's for smoother charging of batteries? Or maybe that doesn't matter? Those dang Lithium batteries are like 99% efficient with their charging. I can't wait to hear how something like that would turn out.

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 06-16-2009 at 10:03 AM..