View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chuck.
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
BTW, is it possible to block IP's from which spam was sent? I mean, can the mods see that this post was sent from IP xxx.yy.zz.11 and block it so that that IP cannot post anymore, or even register as a new user?
The webadmin can block an IP or range of IPs. Of course, you don't want to block the IPs for spammer sites AND good members. Still, some IP's stick out.

95.anything is very likely spam (I don't recommend that broad a block)

What I do on the site I help moderate is look at newbies with suspicious names, Google that nickname in only the last 24-hours....often a spammer that joined 1-2 dozen of sites during the day, planning to strike at 2am. I look at IPs, their registration email and the profile. If there are 3 or more comical discrepancies, I pre-ban.

For example, if they say they are from NYC, time-zone is Singapore, IP is from Russia - they are about to spam. If the profile is "Currency: 123456" - "Biography: Man" - it's a spammer.

What is incredible to me is some spammers will lurk a week after they have been banned....either it's a computer or a complete idiot.