View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dutchdivco
EcoModding Lurker

Well, firstly my goal is not fame or fortune.Seriously, I have conversed (on the I-net) with people working on vapoisers, etc. who are dreaming of solving the worlds energy/transportation problems. I say Good-Luck, but that ain't me.I just want a car that will transport me'nmine safely, with the best mileage i can get. I don't have a specific goal in mind.
There are a lot of "platforms" that would work. I think a really good one to start with would be a 65 plymouth Valient, slant 6 225 engine. A great engine, I know of many that went 225,000 miles w/out a re-build. Easy to work on, simple engine. The Valiant was set-up so you could order it with a V-8, so with the slant 6 the engine bay is humongous! Lots of room to work, or put mods.The body is fairly heavy guage steel, so there is room for selective weight reduction, and aerodynamic improvements. I think it gets around 25 m.p.g. stock, so not a bad starting point.In the same time frame, Ford had the straight 6 223, and Chevy also had a straight 6, can't recall the #, 216 maybe?Any of these would be a good engine for a starting point.
I'm actually looking for others taking this approach, cause in the past, on mileage/economy forums, I keep getting people with newer car thinking saying "That will cause your ECU to throw a check engine light, and go into closed loop" or similar stuff. I have to constantly remind people i don't have an ECU, or a check engine light.Gets frustrating.Looking to see if there are others out there like me, so we could have our own section, on 1 of these sites.Oh, and let me make it clear, I'm not taking the attitude of trash the earth, so long as I get better mileage.Just looking for a different way; burn all the gas in the engine, theres none left to pollute. Honda came up with an alternative, for a while. Stratified charge, I think its called.Didn't require a converter, and passed emissions.Thats one way, there may be others.Jim