View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
The light in the center beneath the tailgate I got from Harbor Freight tools.
They have mostly cheap low quality stuff, but the LED aux brake light is actually really bright and works flawless.
(I also got a 500lb electric wench powered hitch mounted lift which I have used to move 4 600lb safes into the truck bed.)

The light fits into the trailer hitch and plugs into the trailer wiring harness. It has an electronic controller in it, which can tell the difference between turn signals and brakes. It goes on with the brakes. It does not go on with the turn signal. It is all automatic.
(They also have a cheap version which uses an incandescent bulb and no controller, so it does go on with the turn signals. Don't get that one. Make sure to get the more expensive LED version)
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

The led lights on the cab I put on myself, they are from the local auto store and are meant to be marker lights for box trucks.
I ran a wire sliced into the rear lights through the cab and out the window to them. They both go on with the brakes, and each side goes on with the corresponding turn signal.
I also have little triangle LEDs on the end of each mirror. Those have a wire I spliced in to the front turn signals, into the dash and through the door. They go on with the turn signals, but not the brakes.

In addition to the new lights, I changed all of my stock bulbs over to Luxeon LEDs.
Total power draw is about 5 watts for all lights as running lights and about 15 as on brake light mode. (originally it was 63/177)

If you left at least one incandescent bulb in each circuit you can add as many LEDs as you want and not affect the flash rate.
Because I am using all LEDs I had to buy a new electronic flasher to replace the old thermal flasher which was there originally.

The luxeon LEDs are not cheap - they were the single biggest expense of all my eco-modding - but they are crazy bright, use only a tiny amount of power (ie better mileage), and last for half of forever. SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home
1/2 the lights in my home come from them to, 1 watt each. My power bill is less than $10 each month, so I think the initial cost is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?