View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #83 (permalink)
Istas
is not covered in bees.

Honda - '05 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 27.16 mpg (US)

Insight - '00 Honda Insight w A/C
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Istas
I still think that from a fluid resistance viewpoint, a single opening as close to a circle as possible would provide the least resistance to flow. Since this is the front of a car, though, you also want to aim for the area of highest pressure on the front of your vehicle, which might be a bit difficult to assume on that Vibe.

It might be where you have them now, because the front's slanted back a bit. It might be further up, closer to the center of the main blunt front of the car. It might even be over on the sides, next to that part of the bumper jutting out, where the air might be being squeezed against that outcropping. You might be able to do some testing of that using a pressure gauge, a looong thin length of plastic tube, some tape, and a shot of tuft-testing of the area (from the article I read, I believe it was from autospeed.com somewhere though I don't have the link on me... anyway, the opening at the end of the plastic tube should be perpendicular to flow I think it said?) Even tuft testing would give you a decent idea of where the highest pressure area is (though use short strings, and lots of them, for high resolution).

I think you're going in the right direction with horizontally-enlongated openings, at any rate.