View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Awhile back there was a local woman who went into a local bank with a gun and a very halfhearted robbery attempt. Turned out she was trying to get locked away for good so her daughter would get taken away to foster care and get a better life. Hence she didn't get the punishment she wanted. Of course this local economy has been been in depression even when the national economy was good.
I went into the public assistance office a few times while we were living in Dauphin County (Harrisburg), and every time I applied for assistance for my wife, because she was pregnant, and I couldn't afford doctor bills (I don't go, myself, unless I'm dying), she got turned down the first few times... always over something stupid, like "you have too much money", blah blah blah... but every time I went down there with her, there were at least 100 people who were wearing clothes I couldn't dream of owning, watches that could pay my rent, shoes that would make my car payment, etc... and every one of them was there for their weekly welfare check.

How does that work?