View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Good to hear! It is always nice to hear such things, receptive reporters, such and such.

Anyway, what is this Program you have? Tell me more!
SVO,

Last Fall I decided to put my hypermiling skills to work for me and I started (very unofficially) my "Super Commuter Driving School." I posted on ecomodder about this last year (the thread is below here if you want to see my initial posts when I came up with the idea).

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ness-5812.html

My business involves teaching everyday drivers how to get better gas mileage in their own vehicles. I hook up my SGII to their car and let them drive over a selected route as they normally would. After they finish we check the results and then I drive the same course and check my SGII results. With the 9-10 people I instructed last year I was able to get anywhere from 5-11 mpg better than them. The lesson lasts about an hour and I charge $20 or $25 for it.

While I'm driving their car I explain the different techniques I am using (pulse and glide, neutral coast, timing stop lights and traffic, etc.). After we both drive the car and analyze the results I then give them a hypermiling homework assignment (usually something like inflate your tires to max psi, pulse and glide on your commute this week, etc). I also provide some literature about their car, what EPA means, what EPA means for their car, how to keep a fuel log and that they should join ecomodder (at least to keep track of their fuel log at a minimum)!!!!

Initially, I only started the business to pay for my SGII but people have been very receptive to my business and I've made some good profit on it. I have magnetic signs on the side of my car promoting my business and have received a few lessons from that (you can also see them in the thread link I provided above).

Last week I was able to land an interview and road test with a local "green living" reporter to take a lesson from me and it went very well! The article should be out in the next couple weeks and I'm anxious to see it.

All in all, with gas prices rising, I figured I should get proactive about getting some lessons to make some extra cash.