Thread: Garage Job
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
bondo
Master EcoModder

You are right Piwoslaw about concept cars being toned down when they get to production. It is usually due to manufacturing considerations and costs. Very observant of you on the back door. It is complex. I feel the pivot point is outboard enough to allow it to swing at the front with out binding, maybe. It will have to be made from composite or thermoform for the draw would be too deep for stamped metal or aluminum.

jamesqf, the upswept look is for aerodynamic considerations. I too like straight level lines in design but they are difficult, for me, to integrate into a complex aerodynamic shape. I look at dolphins, sharks, things of nature which move through water. These creatures have few if any level lines. The fins on the back do have a function. They can be warped to assist in directional stability and to add to what Big Dave surmised.

Yeah Big Dave, it is all about the wake. Cargo capacity is lost but, hopefully, reduction in Cd is achieved. The wind tunnel will tell. I do not know what the angle is you ask for. I approached this vehicle design as sculpture, no drawings, all by eye. I sculpted the aerocap by eye also and got lucky on the choice of angle. It is very important.

Here are a couple if pictures of the back of the car and a plan view shot. The vent above the rear bumper is part of a patent I filed last year. Who knows, may work, may not, you got to try.

Thanks to all,

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010712.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	3737   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010741.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	3738   Click image for larger version