View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Im using a modified intake with a cone filter, and I do agree that the best option is using exhaust heat...

However, first of all I can't switch it on or off like I can a glow plug. Also, I want to keep a short ram intake design, I want to avoid the power losses that come from snaking an intake hose all around the engine bay. The way I have it now its almost a straight shot.
Isn't the point to sacrifice power for efficiency? I have an extra hose made of heating duct extending from my stock intake filter box to the exhaust manifold. intake air temperature rarely eclipses 150F, and normally sticks around 130F. I blocked off the stock pipe that comes from the bottom of the filter box with a plastic bag. This plus my aero mods (skirts, grille block, mirror delete) saw an 8 - 10mpg increase. I haven't done an A-B-A test yet, but I think it may have worked. I really think you should stick with the stock intake and the MAF sensor... I'd wager to guess your lean burn isn't working as much as you'd like as a result of the absence of the stock intake setup. Just pipe it to breathe right off your exhaust manifold and see what happens. You don't have anything to lose with how easy it is to try.