View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Here is another good side to rising oil prices: Recycling becomes worthwhile again
I don't if this was the case in other parts of the world, but when oil's price went down recently most recycling centers here had to close down. With cheap oil making plastics is cheaper than recycling (same for paper, glass, metals), so the price of recyclable materials dived down, taking everyone who made a living off them along. When we were renovating the house a few months ago I loaded the car with steel, aluminum and copper (over 100kg) which I picked out of the debris, and dropped it off at the local metal collection lot. If I hadn't been driving that direction anyway, the money I got wouldn't have payed for the fuel.
Now oil is on the rise again, but materials are still cheap, mostly because of all of this crisis BS. Hopefully oil will get the recycling biz here back on it's feet.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread