View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
ev59rag
EcoModding Lurker

Ben, this is a great idea. Its totally possible. I have two sets of these already on my house and using it to do all laundry needs. Very cool.

Anyways, just to give you a heads up... these panels are 21 volts (open) and approx 0.75 amps each (seattle clouds) so its not much but it will sure charge them. Total of 4 amps for thetwo sets so equals to 50 to 60 watts total... So this will be one for each battery and in series. Now the only thing you need is a controller so that you dont over charge them. Yes its possible to overcarge them....

If you dont want a controller then maybe just a switch to turn it on or off. See once you use your car, it wont be strong enough to fully charge them back again. But in cases that you know its fully charge and you roll it out of the garage and sitting under the sun, then yes this migh overcharge it.. so you can simply turn it off.

Or you can use one of those BMS that they sell for 5 bucks... like one of these

And also the controller that comes with it is for 12 volts... You can use this to charge your aux battery with battery monitor at the same time....

You can probably device a roof rack or something where in you there is a hinge or something so you can open it up when parked.

this is fun... i will be following this closely..

Parting out my EV.
ES-31C D&D Motor
Alltrax 7245 Controller
Paul & Sabrina's Controller (never used)