View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
One note on hybrids.. the battery packs on these are something I have hope for and fear..

The HOpe , in a few years youll be able to get larger capacity packs made with newer technologies that provide more power etc.. making your mpg get better..

The fear, these packs aren't cheap.. the cost of a MAJOR mechanical problem.. like a engine failure.. if in 5 years it fails. ill have one hell of a repair cost.. even though the gas engine has many more miles of life in it.. IM in MN and know what the weather can do to batteries up here.. we go from 100 degrees with 95%+ humidity to -50 and bone dry up here..

The batteries in these hybrids, they have a life span.. they will not outlast the engine.. but could be down the road a easy way to increase there mpg or even add plug in hybrid capabilities.
Consider then, the manufacturers warranty. At least with Toyota's Prius warranty, it goes farther than the drivetrain warranty, oddly enough:

Hybrid-related components for hybrid vehicles are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

So you'd be covered for 8 years roughly either by mileage or time. In 8 years who knows, you may be able to find plug-in conversions for super-dirt-cheap, and not have to use fossil fuels directly at all.

Also, never say never... We don't know how long GOOD NiMH batteries last yet, as people are still running the factory packs in the few RAV4 EV's running around. Although hybrid packs are smaller and thus subject to much heavier cycling, they could still last as long as 10 years, which for your driving style is still 120-150K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
Every ones situation is different but for us its all country roads, all low speed (55mph) and not a ton of miles.. we usually do 12-15k a year, and I used 20k a year as a heavily used car for us, my new colorado pickup is 4 years old and has 21k on it.. (and totally paid for) but we don't commute daily in it all the time, the CRX gets the nod most f the time unless I need to haul some big stuff..

I just don't see the hybrid making sense for us unless gas goes to some really outrageous numbers.. if thats the case.. I'll drive at 40 instead of 55.. get some better mpg's, thats should not be a issue as every one else will be not diving as they cant afford to put gas in there 23 mpg average american cars.
Even at those low speeds/short distances a hybrid can still make sense. Driven properly it may not be a matter of 15-20mpg, but more like 30-40.

Don't let me try to talk you into something that'll make your checkbook retch, though.