View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
delslo
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Yeah, I've heard of some people at higher altitudes (i.e. Colorado) getting great MPG, because they are "running lean" as a function of their altitude. They are not actually "lean" per se, but they are using less fuel than they would be at sea level.
I've heard both ways. Also, the air being thinner is similar to the gains achieved from aero mods, so its difficult to determine exact causation.

In the other thread you say it exactly right - hotter air intake temps are reducing output.

So using that, the whole reason I can't wrap my head around an endorsement for an HAI is simple: if you're limiting output, yet it still requires x amount of tq to achieve the speed/distance you need, you need to increase throttle/revs to do the same amount of work. This is the same as saying you're putting the engine under more load. More load = more fuel consumption.

Also, the burn efficiencies of heated fuel vapors on a fully warmed motor I would have to imagine are completely negated by the aforementioned reduction in dynamic compression ratio.

Please, keep going. I need to make sense of this. I love making intakes